Saturday, December 13, 2008

THE GIFT OF THADDEUS POE

When Poe invented poetry
It was really quite by accident I’m told
He wasn’t sure if he could say
Exactly what he meant or why
He’d phrased it quite the way he had.
In other words I’m sure intent had less
Responsibility than simple serendipity.

Thaddeus Poe, a quiet lad
Of twenty-one or twenty-two, not sure
If he were sane or mad, wondered
At the things we do and why
All things are just the way they are.
Those who recall the year are few; the poem
Was first writ by Thad, one autumn night with pen and pad:

“While standing, staring at the stars
Marveling at the majesty, I wonder
If the moon and Mars are somehow
Gazing back at me.” He paused
A bit to read his silly verse,
Liking the rare simplicity of phrase,
And yet the rhyming “R’s” and “E’s” he liked the best by far.

“Sometimes I feel the universe
Is looking at itself through me, and I’m
A single drop immersed in waters
Of a shoreless sea,” he wrote
That night as if it was heaven sent.
Yes, Poe invented poetry it’s said
For better or for worse; for some, salvation; some, a curse.

No comments: